- David Bromwich, Sterling Professor of English at Yale University, author of The Intellectual Life of Edmund Burke
- Michael Lind, co-founder of the New America Foundation, author of Land of Promise: An Economic History of the United States
- Yuval Levin, founding editor of National Affairs, author of The Great Debate: Edmund Burke, Thomas Paine, and the Birth of Right and Left
David Bromwich introduces us to the conservative hero Edmund Burke, the 18th-century British statesman who befriended the American Revolution, hated the French version, loved liberty and hated violence, and believed that empires like his and ours must answer to the whole world. Move over, Bush and Boehner. What if Edmund Burke were leading our Republicans in 2014?
Ever wondered how the political map of the United States has changed over the past 225 years. Here’s an interactive map showing the liberal-conservative spectrum of the first 112 Congresses.
• Adam Gopnik offers a smart survey of the many Burkes in The New Yorker (paywall);
• Mike Lind on the coming realignment of the political tendencies in America, breaking along more traditional conservative lines.